It’s hard to force yourself to exercise and eat healthy when you are only focused on the end result. I want to lose weight, so bad! You might tell yourself. When you don’t see results immediately it can be hard to stay motivated.
Here are 8 kid-friendly reasons why losing weight can be a fun, exciting challenge. You will look back on this experience with pride when you are on the other side, I promise.
- Track your progress. Focusing on results can be discouraging, but if you keep a log of how much you exercise and what you weigh each week you will slowly be able to see some real results. Remember, drinking lots of water and eating low-sodium foods helps keep water weight down.
- Have a workout buddy. Having a friend for the gym, for a jog, or a Zumba class can help you motivate each other. It’s hard to say no when your friend texts you to go on a jog.
- Start a new hobby. Zumba classes, Yoga classes, running, Soccer, Football, and dance. There are so many awesome ways to get your heart pumping. Learn new soccer tricks on YouTube, practice Yoga at home, or join a team at school.
- It Feels Great. Ever heard of dopamine? It’s the chemical released in your brain when you laugh, smile, or receive a text from a friend. Imagine feeling like that all the time. Exercising regularly releases dopamine that makes you feel great – and boosts your confidence.
- Make new friends. Joining a team gives you the opportunity to make a lot of new friends. Teammates hang out with each other all the time. If you don’t like being super competitive there are others like you! Join an intramural team at school or in your community.
- Learn how to cook. At our weight loss camp we teach everyone how to make healthy, delicious meals. But it doesn’t have to stop there! YouTube has a lot of easy recipes you can learn how to make. There are also some great recipes you can check out on our blog. Cooking can be fun and they’re lots of chances to be creative.
- Go shopping. Walking around the mall can be a fun way to lose weight without even realizing it. Studies show that walking for 45 minutes every day is important for losing weight, so make sure to check out all your favorite stores (and take the stairs!).
- Give your music some life. I love to run to music. Timing a stomp to the drop is exhilarating and there’s no better rush. Running, or walking to the beat makes you feel like you are composing the piece with every step you take.
If you try one or more of these tips losing weight shouldn’t feel like such a scary, daunting task. It can be fun. Just be consistent, drink lots of water, and eat healthy and you’ll start noticing weight loss is like a game and those lost pounds become points in your pocket.