Fettuccine Alfredo is a favorite for all, but it can be pack with calories. Make it at home, substituting margarine for butter, and skim milk and low fat cream cheese for whipping cream. You won’t taste the different, but your body will see the difference!
- 1 T. margarine
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 c. skim milk
- 2 T. low fat cream cheese
- 1 /14 c. grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 4 c. hot cooked fettuccine cooked in water without oil or salt
- 2 t. chopped fresh parsley and freshly ground pepper
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk, stirring with a wire whisk until blended.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Stir in cream cheese, cook 2 min.
- Add 1 c. Parmesan cheese and stir constantly until it melts. Then pour over hot, cooked fettuccine and toss well to coat.
- Top with remaining 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and pepper.
- For extra protein add a cut up, cooked lean chicken breast.
- For the daily serving of vegetables add broccoli or peas.